Friday, 26 July 2013

Guest Post: Dani Morgan the Plotter.



I guess we could call this blog post Plotter to the Core. If you look up the term plotter in the dictionary, well, there I am smiling and waving back at you.  It’s almost to the point of obsession really.  Scary, I know.

Every story I write has it’s only folder or binder depending on size.  I first come up with a basic concept and jot down a few notes, starting the folder. Then it’s on to cast, because I need visuals.  When I find people close enough to the vision in my head, I print off their pictures, name them and give them a basic story.  I have to admit, name genie is my best friend.

Next step is music. I figure out the basic tone and go searching.  I have a few go to bands like Papa Roach and Daughtry that I start with. Then I branch out.  I make a playlist and keep adding, even as I’m writing.  I remember being in the grocery and hearing the perfect song for one of my stories.  I’m always open for inspiration.

Next is the basic outline and timeline.  I hate writing myself in a corner so I make notes on things that have to happen.  Sometimes I know the title right off the bat and other times it’s a struggle. But once I hear it… I know.

Finally, I open up a word doc, set it up and I’m off to the races.  I can write day or night, it doesn’t matter. Though for some reason, midnight to four a.m. seems like the best time.  I think there is the least amount of distractions then.  I keep going, sending bits and pieces to beta readers as I go and hopefully, within a few months, it’s done. 

That’s my process in a nutshell. 






ABOUT DANI MORGAN




I was always the girl who spent most of her life living in her head, even at an early age. My made up worlds were so much more interesting than real life. In them, anything was possible. I could be a reckless archaeologist digging up a mummy who came to life, terrorize a medieval village by drinking all their blood, start an intergalactic war between rival planets, or ride a wild stallion with a hunky Native brave clad only in a breech cloth, all within the course of a weekend.

Life didn’t stay simple. I had to grow up, get a job, became a wife and mother and put all my dreams on hold. After a change in my life, I found myself a single mom who had plenty of time to fall back into the land of make believe.

One night I opened up my computer and soon several novels were penned. Now I have embarked on a journey to become the person I always envisioned myself to be, an author, sharing my crazy ideas with the world.









Links For Dani

 Blog


Links For Insanely Drawn